Permit to Carry a Handgun
Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
1. YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON
Out of State Resident - apply at a non-toll road State Police Barracks closest to your residence.
In State Resident - apply to your local police department (State Police patrolled areas apply to local Barracks.)
*PLEASE CALL YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT OR STATE POLICE BARRACKS PRIOR TO APPLYING - DO NOT JUST SHOW UP
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
- Driver's License and Birth Certificate OR Driver's License and Passport OR Driver's License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
- Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications for Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be double sided and notarized.
- Four (4) color passport size photographs.
- Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066.
- Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
- Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun(s).
- Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
- Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; "Treasurer, State of New Jersey"
** ALL APPLICANTS (INITIAL AND RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE FINGERPRINTED. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINGER PRINTING WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
** THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGH OUT THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE STATE WEBSITE, WWW.NJSP.ORG > PUBLIC INFORMATION > FIREARMS INFORMATION > NEW JERSEY SHOOTING RANGES FOR RPO QUALIFICATION. ** A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL. ** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
Both of the below forms must be filled out and submitted.
Consent for Mental Health Record Search can be found HERE
Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun can be found HERE